Adoption Timeline

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Preschool

Shelby's first day of preschool was today. She has qualified for JESSE which is the educational special needs program in our county.  We went last spring and sat in a week of class with their preschool kids.  It has some days that are just JESSE kids and some days that other children attend with them.  I was quite impressed with the class which is actually saying a lot since Scott and I were both set against preschool for both our kids. She will be able to receive speech and occupational therapy there, and we hope that the structure and learning will challenge her to keep moving forward in the progress she has made since coming home.  I was amazed today at her confidence.  She is such a different child than the one who wouldn't look at us straight in the face let alone come up to us when we met her 14 months ago.  Today she grinned in excitement as the bus pulled in, climbed the big steps by herself, and waved bye-bye to me after she was all buckled in.  I was about in tears because it hit me that she feels loved and secure and is confident that she will be safe and see me again in a few hours -- all major things for any child but especially for an adopted  child.  Even though I'm sure she can't express any of that, it was evident in her behavior. No sideways looking, no rocking, no humming...just ready for this adventure.  It excited me and was a good reminder to keep looking at what she CAN do now instead of getting bogged down by what she still needs to master.  Best wishes, Sweetie.  Now I'm off to the grocery story by myself - how strange ;).
All ready to go

The bus pulls in

All buckled in

2 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go, Shelby! Big Girl on the big bus! She has come a long way!

The Mama said...

SUPER impressive!! I get how HUGE that is!! As i read it I started tearing up because I knew what that meant too. We could not do that with Kim even now and she's been home 2 years. Though she has come a long way in feeling more safe. (;