Adoption Timeline

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Potty Training and Catch-Up

All right, life has just gotten too busy and blogging keeps slipping further and further down my list of priorities.  Then I read my sister's blog (see post), and she had more pictures of my daughter in one post than I have put on here in the last month. So, yes, unbelievably, we have started potty training.  It just really happened last week.  I've been periodically putting Shelby on the potty and showing her the potty signal.  Not to get to graphic....I've also been emptying her diapers into the potty and saying, "This is where we do that."  (again with the potty sign).  However she really wasn't seeming to connect at all with it, so I figured I was pushing things.  It really is much harder to work on potty training with a child that doesn't speak yet.  Then last week, she started coming to me and doing the sign for potty.  I thought, Ok, if she is initiating this, I might as well work with her.  Well, I soon found out that she is signing to me as she is going in her diaper, at least #1.  A huge breakthrough came Saturday night, though, when we were at Scott's family Thanksgiving.  She came out to the kitchen signing potty to me, so I took her right in.  She went #2.   YAY!!!  So this week, I will be buying pull-ups and starting this whole process for real.  I am just tickled pink, and I'm not being sarcastic because the fact that she can understand what her body is doing and communicate it to us is huge to me.  With being so far behind developmentally, I didn't think we'd be getting to this point yet. 

We've also got the upstairs finished in our new addition.  The carpet was laid last Wednesday, and the kids are (semi) moved into their new rooms.  That meant putting Shelby in a toddler bed.  I thought that would be another huge adjustment, but thanks to the weighted blanket our OT has let us borrow, it has gone really smoothly.  I am SSOOO happy to have this poor girl out of the pack-and-play, and into her own "big girl" space (and it only took us almost 6 months, yikes!). 

So here are a few pics from the last few weeks:

Ready for trick-or-treating, Tigger and a frog

Learning that she loves the results of trick-or-treating.  Fun size candy bars make more than a fun size mess, but she is so stinkin' cute doing it!

Playing "Bad Guys" together which she gladly did with Hunter until he tried to switch masks.

No comments: